Sunday, April 29, 2012

Life is precious! - Leben ist kostbar!

This post might be a little jumbled - I apologize in advance.

My plan was to post about my last week in Tübingen. I moved out of my apartment yesterday. It was quite emotional - I lived there for the past six years and I love my roommates. We have made many very happy memories in that apartment.

Well, that was my plan anyway. 

My parents came with two cars and a trailer yesterday to help. On the way back to my parents house, after we had packed everything in the two cars, I drove one car with my mom and my dad drove the other with the trailer. 

On the highway we had an accident. Everybody is fine, nobody was hurt, but it was a miracle! A motorcycle crashed into our car. It all happened so fast.


I was driving on the highway, the speed limit was 75 m/h, which I adhered to. I was on the right lane and saw a car on the on-ramp. So I checked my rearview mirror to see if I can get onto the left lane to give the other car room to get on the highway. It was on a pretty straight stretch and I did see a tiny dot in the rearview mirror and I realized it was a motorcycle, but it was very far back. Therefore I looked over my shoulder and got on the left lane. I checked my rearview again, and all of a sudden there is the motorcycle almost right behind me. My mom said, I had just said: "Motorcycle!" That's when we heard the crash. The driver on the motorcycle somehow managed to only scratch into our car and pass us on the left side without falling. He probably was in shock too because he kept driving. We followed him off the highway to assess the damage. 

It scared me to death. When I saw the motorcycle in my rearview and realized how fast he was going, there was nothing I could have done. 
When I heard the crash I thought, they are dead! He had a passenger on, a young woman. It was one of the worst moments I've had to live through. It all just happened in seconds. 

The right front side of his bike was pretty damaged. The car I was driving, my sister's one year old car, has scratches on the left back side, but it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be.

We should have called the police but the motorcycle driver for some reason convinced us not to. He was threatening us to call his lawyer, to claim it was my fault because I braked. I did, but only because I thought I could maybe get back onto the right lane but of course everything was happening way to fast. He was trying to just pass me on the left, even though there was no lane and just a little room between the car and a concrete wall! But when I braked he didn't have enough time to pass me on the left, that's why he crashed into the car.

I didn't realize that he was actually trying to pass me... He didn't even try to slow down...  I would have called the police if I had realized that yesterday but in that moment, I was just thinking, if this goes to court, I will have to stay in Germany for all the court dates! I won't be able to move to my husband in Florida this month... 

Another car saw it all from far back. She actually followed us when we pulled off the highway. Her husband also rides a bike and she said, she thinks he went probably around 120 m/h. He passed her first, and when she saw him coming she went into the right lane because she realized he was going way to fast.

Of course the driver of the motorcycle claims that he was only doing 80 or so, but he was doing way more than that...

Well, I'm just glad that nobody got hurt and everybody is alive. This could have ended way worse. You can repair a car...  And I hope the driver of the motorcycle learned a lesson and won't drive as fast anymore, especially if he's not alone. 
This event made me realize again how precious life is - and how easily it could end.
Thank God, everybody is ok!

Please take care of yourself!

Eigentlich wollte ich über meine letzte Woche in Tübingen schreiben, 

aber gestern hatte ich einen Unfall. Allen Beteiligen geht es gut, es gab nur Blechschaden, aber es war trotzdem ein sehr großer Schock.

Gestern sind meine Eltern mit zwei Autos und einem Anhänger zu mir nach Tübingen gekommen, um mir bei meinem Umzug zu helfen. Nachdem wir alles eingepackt hatten, ist mein Papa mit dem Auto + Anhänger gefahren und ich bin das andere gefahren, meine Mama saß bei mir mit im Auto.

Wir sind auf der B27 kurz vor Stuttgart gewesen. Rechts war eine Auffahrt und ich habe gesehen, dass einer auffahren wollte. Um Platz zu machen, bin ich auf die linke Spur gewechselt. Davor habe ich natürlich in den Rückspiegel geschaut und über die Schulter geschaut. Ich habe den Motorradfahrer auch gesehen, aber als kleinen Punkt im Rückspiegel, weit entfernt.

Als ich auf der rechten Spur war, und wieder in den Rückspiegel geschaut habe, war der Motorradfahrer auf einmal schon fast im Auto. Ich hab nur noch geschafft, "Motorrad" zu sagen, da hat es schon geknallt. Irgendwie hat der Motorradfahrer es geschafft, die Maschine aufzufangen, so das sie nur ins Auto geschrammt sind, aber nicht hingefallen sind, sondern dann links am Auto vorbeigefahren sind. Es ging alles so schnell!

Wir sind dann runter von der B, weil es keinen Seitenstreifen an der Stelle gab. Wir waren natürlich alle  im Schock, aber der Motorradfahrer hat gleich auf uns eingeredet und versucht, mir die Schuld zu geben, weil ich abgebremst habe. Ich habe tatsächlich abgebremst, aber nur weil ich versucht hatte, wieder auf die rechte Spur zu fahren.

Sein Motorrad hat den größeren Schaden abbekommen. Die ganze rechte Seite vorne war eingedrückt. Das Auto meiner Schwester, dass erst ein Jahr alt ist, hat hinten links ein paar Kratzer und eine kleinere Delle (siehe Foto oben). Es sieht nicht schön aus, aber bei dem Knall hatte ich was viel schlimmeres erwartet.

Naja, wir hätten die Polizei rufen sollen, aber ich konnte gar nicht klar denken, und als er angefangen hat mit einem Anwalt zu drohen, habe ich nur noch gedacht, wenn das jetzt vor Gericht geht, muss ich in Deutschland bleiben... Ich hatte ja gar nichts falsch gemacht. Er war einfach viel zu schnell unterwegs. An der Stelle war nur 120 km/h erlaubt, und eine weitere Zeugin hat gemeint, dass er bestimmt mit 200 km/h unterwegs war. Klar, beweisen kann ich nichts, aber er hätte Abstand halten müssen. Der Motorradfahrer hat behauptet, er wäre 130 km/h gefahren...

Heute, als ich angefangen habe diesen Blogeintrag zu schreiben, ist mir auch erst klar geworden, dass er gar nicht mal versucht hatte zu bremsen. Er wollte die ganze Zeit an mir links vorbei ziehen, obwohl es keine Spur links gab und auch noch eine Betonmauer da war, weil wir uns auf einer Brücke befanden. Er hatte ja auch noch eine junge Frau hinten drauf... Das er sich da zwischen Auto und Mauer durchquetschen wollte, mit dem Tempo... das war wirklich verantwortungslos. Da ich im letzten Moment leicht gebremst habe, hat er es nicht mehr geschafft und er ist dann ins Auto geschrammt.

Ich bin nur wirklich froh, dass nichts schlimmeres passiert ist. Ich bin froh, dass alle am Leben sind. Blech kann man ersetzten! Ich hoffe, er hat daraus auch gelernt und fährt jetzt vorsichtiger.
Gott sei Dank sind alle am Leben! Darüber bin ich wirklich froh!

Bei so einem Erlebnis wird einmal wieder bewusst, wie kostbar das Leben doch ist!

Passt bitte alle auf euch auf!

2 comments:

  1. oh wow Judith!! Zum Glück ist euch nichts passiert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary! :( I'm glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete